Rule change? Should "Self Promotion" Be Allowed on Your Own WA Blog?
I have had a nagging question that won't' go away. Should WA's spam rules be changed to allow self promotion on their own WA blog? The more I think about it, the more I think it would better serve the community if people could provide links to their own websites on their WA blog.
Since around 2007, I have belonged to a real estate blogging community that is made up of people mainly from the United States and Canada. People are allowed to promote their own business on their personal blogs. Members are allowed to post links to their websites and contact information on their blog posts.
Yet, people are not allowed to Spam or promote their business in comments they leave on other people's posts. If/when we see that members get points for reporting spam.
I propose a similar policy would work well here at Wealthy Affiliate.
1. It would allow us to learn from people if they want to share a link to their website. I have seen some great posts lately where the person shared a link to their website or YouTube channel. Those links added value to the reader. Yet, officially it was considered SPAM.
2. Allowing promotion on one's blog would help people learn how to create signature blocks on their posts. These could help inspire other members seeking to create their own.
3. If people use their WA blog posts to sell rather than to share useful, intersting content to readers - most people simply won't read the posts or follow. That is very similar to what happens in real life on Google.
4. If people do not engage with their followers or the people that comment on their posts, people tend to ignore those members's posts. Most of the lonely posts, with no comments that I see on the real estate blog site are due to items 3 and 4.
5 I would suggest that if this policy was allowed that we would be limited to publishing only one or two blog posts per day so keep people from being tempted to publish hourly or whatever.
6. WA blog posts should still stay on topic - discussing things that are related to WA experience, online business etc. Religion, politics, niche related discussions should remain on personal websites. Why give your content to WA? You should want to save it for your readers.
7. I would also suggest that personal blogs still not be used to promote or market other services or programs. No affiliate links to other sites.
What do you all think? (Remember, this is Kyle and Carson's business. It is not a democracy. If they do not want to change the rules, that is up to them. That is the privilege associated within owning Wealthy Affiliate.)
Such a rule change would eliminate the distractions and hard feelings that are arising on an almost daily basis here at WA. The current rules are causing a lot of grief and unhappiness.
Wouldn't it be nice to not spend so much time worrying about SPAM caused by a member providing links to their own website? That time could be better spent on building and creating profitable affiliate marketing websites.
Kyle, if you read this, would you please consider a test period of a new policy for a month or two? If people abuse it, WA could go back to the current rules.