New Algorithm Favors Helpers, or Does It?
Kyle's featured comment on a post about rank yesterday suggested the new algorithm was going to favor people who helped out over people who were socially commenting in here, but that social commenting will also rank - and of course it is easier to be twice as active socially as it is to help, so the result is clear in the lineup already where we have two types of ambassador sit side by side and nothing to tell them apart at the moment.
- right now we have helpers and welcomers sitting side by side in the ambassador line up and how can newbies tell who is which type?
- One thing I know having been an ambassador for a lot of months is newbies expect ambassadors and high rankers to know stuff and be able to help i.e. be experts.
- And one thing I know having been here a lot of years is ambassadors WILL answer with authority whether or not they know the answer.
- Also Magistudios keeps telling people in his weekly webinars to go to the ambassadors for advice on their sites.
- And the advice ambassadors give to the people lining up to ask them questions could make or break that person's future online - so that's why I wonder about the social aspect vs the helper aspect vs the expert aspect.
***Personally I wish that there was an extra training course so ambassadors giving help had a baseline knowledge when it came to answers and a thorough knowledge of this platform and its resources and all the training available in here; also this could make the position open to more than 25 helping members of approved rank.
***Another idea would be if they want a mix of helpers and socially interactive ambassadors then maybe give them different colored cups beside that ambassador badge so people can tell where their expertise is - of course social has value, but we need to know who to ask for what.
Well of course ambassadors are not experts, but no one seems to know that, not the newbies or even the ambassadors nor all those in between at times...
Rank is rank ultimately, it has a broader definition out there in the world that brings certain expectations with it, that will not change in here. Ultimately this is not a blog about rank but about transparency and standards and expectations and how we evolve with the bottom line = referrals staying.