Niche Dilemma: Passion or Societal Trend Need
Niche Dilemma: Passion or Societal Trend/Need
I recently read a question that someone posted here at WA which I know to be a common question, so I thought I would write a blog answering that question and describe why I believe my answer is the correct choice.
The question was, "I am struggling with my niche idea. I have an idea for my niche, but it is not my passion. It is, however, a need that exists out there in our society. Should I go with the societal trend / need even though it is not my passion or should I follow a niche that is my passion?" Not sure if that is the exact phrasing, but that is the basic concept behind the question.
My answer that I gave was - GO WITH YOUR PASSION. Never go with what you think is "the need" or "the trend" - unless of course, "the trend" is your passion, but if it is not, then NO!. Here is the reason is a nutshell.
YOUR PASSION IS YOUR MOTIVATION!!
Think about the following and you will see (hopefully) what I mean:
- Your passion is what will get you out of bed an extra hour earlier to work on your niche website.
- Your passion is what will get you to sit at your computer after a long day at work and write a new post for your website.
- Your passion to reach out to others who share your passion is what will get you to read comments you got from your recent post on your website.
- Your passion is what will get you to write down ideas for your next blog post.
- And again I say, your passion is your motivation and without motivation, you have nothing!
So forget what is trendy or what is the current need out there, because trends come and go, needs come and go, but your passion typically will stay with you. And if you do develop a new passion, no problem. Just start a new niche website with your new passion. That is the beauty of belonging to WA, you can have a number of different websites.
I hope this helps some of you out with your decision making when it comes to what you should do for your niche site. As always, I am here to help.