Good Humor Is a Business Asset
"Good humor is a tonic for mind and body. It is the best antidote for anxiety and depression. It is a business asset. It attracts and keeps friends. It lightens human burdens. It is the direct route to serenity and contentment."
- Grenville Kleiser - 1868-1935, Author
If you're like me, you appreciate the Sunday humor blogs that Boomer writes. Here is one of my favorites:
Notice how Robert took a serious subject about key words and other website rules and added humor to his educational post. Smart idea.
ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?
I try to make humor part of everyday because all work and no play makes me grumpy. (I've heard it also makes "Jack a dull boy".)
All kidding aside, did you know that the more passionate you are about the work you do, the more your work can seem like play? When your work seems like play you actually get more done which just might lead to making more money for those of us who are self-employed.
Don't believe me? Take some time and study the Google corporate culture which is reported to have one of the most fun work environments.
BENEFITS OF PLAYING AT WORK
I worked as part of an executive coaching team a few years back. For one of our marketing events, we decided to build and promote a seminar for C-Suite level executives about relieving stress on the job.
One of our recommendations was to add fun into the work day. Here are a few of the benefits we came up with:
- Play can trigger the release of endorphins which help to relieve stress.
- Approaching a learning task in a fun way, such as making a game out if it helps to boost creativity, innovation and brain function.
- Adding humor to situations helps to relieve tension and improves social connection.
- People who laugh a lot often live longer, healthier lives.
- Playing games as a team helps to foster cooperation.
- Playing at work helps to heal emotional wounds and teaches us better social skills.
- Companies that foster a "fun culture" like Google and Apple have done often experience a major boost in productivity and earnings.
Relax! You deserve a break now and then. Go ahead and put some fun into your work day. Here are a few doggie jokes to get you started...
Enjoy Your Day!