Improving Your existing Content Is Vital To Get Your Content on Page 1
Last Update: Sep 20, 2023
Today, it is getting harder to stand out in a competitive world, and Search engines like Google reward what they consider an authority website. So, what constitutes an authority website?
Key Characteristics of an Authoritative Blog:
- Original research and insights - An authority blog provides unique perspectives, analysis, and insights not found elsewhere. The blogger shares original research, statistics, interviews, etc. to create value for readers.
- Expertise - The blogger is recognized as an expert in their field and provides in-depth, knowledgeable content. They have credentials, experience, and expertise related to the blog's focus.
- Credible references - Claims and facts are backed up with links and references to credible sources. The blogger cites research, expert opinions, studies etc. to support their positions.
- Professional design - The blog has a clear, uncluttered design and layout. Easy to navigate categories and archives. The tone and writing is professional and polished.
- Engagement - The blogger actively responds to comments, questions and feedback. They participate in their community and build relationships with readers.
- Consistency - Content is published on a regular schedule. Readers know when to expect new posts. The quality and voice remain consistent over time.
- Prominence and domain authority - The blog has been around for a while and has gained respect within its niche. Other influential sites link back to and reference its content. The domain authority is relatively high.
The most important criteria are probably expertise/authority of the blogger, high-quality original content, and engagement with readers. These factors help establish a blog as a trusted source and voice within its niche,
It's impossible for a new Blog to Achieve This Authority
That is a fact of life, but just because it is doesn't mean that you roll over, and give up!
if you are new to your niche your knowledge is limited, but you can accelerate your learning process. In my humble opinion to be a great writer you have to be a great reader. Read as much as you can about your niche. If reading isn't your bag, then watch YouTube videos. Watch what your competitors are doing .
Tips for Improving Your blog Writing Skills
- Read widely - Consume blog posts and articles from top writers in your niche to get a sense of their style and structure. Take notes on what works.
- Study storytelling - Great blogs don't just present information, they tell a story. Learn storytelling techniques that compel readers.
- Focus on benefits - Craft every heading and section around specific reader benefits and takeaways. Why should they care?
- Use an engaging voice - Adopt a conversational tone that feels natural. Use active voice and relatable language.
- Tighten your prose - Eliminate unnecessary words and phrases. Streamline sentences for clarity. Concise writing engages readers.
- Write scannable text - Break up long blocks of text with subheadings, bullet points and other formatting techniques to aid skimming.
- Structure content - Use an inviting intro, logical flow, and satisfying conclusion. Subdivide topics into quick-read sections.
- Show don't tell - Use specific examples, case studies, anecdotes and analogies to illustrate points rather than just stating them.
- Add personality - Infuse some humor, personal stories, interesting details about yourself to connect with readers.
- Include graphics - Images, info-graphics, Flowcharts, videos etc help break up text and drive the message visually.
- Check readability - Target a 7th-10th grade reading level. Use free online tools to assess and improve readability.
- Write, rewrite, repeat - Writing is an iterative process. Allow time to rewrite drafts to refine and tighten the post.
- Learn from editing - If working with an editor, review their edits closely to see how your work can be improved.
- Study your analytics - Determine which posts resonate best with readers. Double down on those successful techniques and angles.
- Find a community - Join blogging groups and connect with other bloggers to exchange tips and feedback.
All of the above tips can be utilized after you have written your posts.
Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Here are some tips for a new blog to build authority and credibility over time:
- Focus your niche - Pick an area you have expertise or experience in to focus on. Become an authority just on this specific, narrow topic. If your niche is wider then niche down onto one topic and write about that until you have exhausted that one subniche. Lets say your niche is traveling with dogs then break this down as in the examples below.
- Air Travel - Regulations, tips and preparation for flying with dogs. Best airlines and tips for in-flight care.
- Road Trips - Planning and packing for driving trips. Keeping dogs safe and comfortable on long car rides. Best rest stops.
- Hotels - Finding and choosing pet-friendly hotels. Reviews of dog-friendly chains. Tips on hotel stays with dogs.
- Camping - Camping with dogs. Equipment like doggie backpacks. Keeping food safe. First aid for the outdoors.
- Hiking - Hitting trails with dogs. Leash training for hikes. Dog hiking gear. Water safety. First aid.
- Beaches - Traveling to dog beaches and dog friendly beaches. Water safety. Best dog-friendly beaches.
- National Parks - Tips on exploring national parks with dogs. Rules, limitations, best parks for dogs.
- International - Traveling overseas with dogs. Import regulations, paperwork, animal quarantine rules.
- Road Trip Gear - Reviews of useful gear for travel like crates, seat belts, dog vehicle accessories.
- Health & Safety - Precautions for dog travel safety. Managing anxiety, motion sickness, dehydration. First aid kit contents.
Focusing on one specific aspect such as air travel with dogs allows the blogger to really provide useful, detailed advice. For example, they could become a true expert on "flying with dogs" within the broader niche.
- Do your research - Spend time learning your niche thoroughly. Read industry publications, take courses, attend conferences to build up your knowledge base. Interview experts. Attend webinars and take notes. Build up your knowledge and then improve your blog posts and update them
- Create original, in-depth content - Write longform posts with your own insights and analysis. Don't just summarize what's already out there. Share new information. Try and write articles over 2000 words. However there is one caveat here dont dribble 3000 word articles if the topic is completely covered in 1400
- Cite sources - Reference research studies, expert interviews, statistics etc. Provide links to credible sources to back up your positions.If you cant find your sources ask AI to find them for you.
- Engage with influencers - Comment on their blogs, share their content, build relationships. Their approval and sharing of your content can help grow your authority faster.
- Respond to feedback - Ask readers for suggestions on topics and continuously improve your content. Be responsive in comments.
- Create social media presence - Be active on LinkedIn, Twitter etc. to network within your niche and promote your content.
- Pitch guest posting - Write for established blogs in your niche to gain exposure and credibility through author byline.
- Improve design over time - Start with basic, readable design and focus on content first. Later, invest in custom design/branding.
- Stick with it - Consistency and longevity build authority. Stay focused on your niche and keep delivering value over months/years.
All of the above steps will allow you to update your blog. However don't forget what you have learned here. When you learn something in a new lesson, apply it to all your posts.
See more comments