Here are some much better programs than Amazon.
Upon trying to search for Affiliate programs to monetize my site I found some great ones.
I used Amazon on my last site and I am really not happy with them. Here is why:
- You are going to have to join several of them eg. .com .eu .co.uk to get a good global reach as each one only ships to a particular region.
- Which leads to another problem that means you have to add multiple links to reach all of your audience, this or the option before it are not really viable options.
- (don't get me wrong Amazon is fine if you plan on targeting a particular region or country)
- Their widgets and banners are tacky looking and as Jay says they don't convert very well.
- They wont pay you for selling to friends or family, this is a big no no.
- They don't give newbies long enough to make a sale before closing them down. Months of writing content can lead to you having to add every single link again when you re-apply.
- They pay very poor commission.
There are loads of great programs out there but let me tell you about two that I applied for. Where Clickbank and Commission Junction offer ebooks and stuff like that I found ones that give you access to hundreds of companies offering services and products-
TradeDoubler and Affiliate Window.
These companies are an intermediate for many big companies worldwide and these companies use these companies to outsource their affiliate programs. I got access to the likes of Expedia and Stena line.
You have access to well known high street stores like boots and Debenhams (UK stores) then theres website services such as flight comparisons and online stores.You also have the power of having well known companies featured on your site who offer much better commissions. I found one on Affiliate Window called find my past (A genealogy company) who offer 50%, and $2 when someone takes a free trial.
The choice of companies vary depending on the country you are in so theres something to suit worldwide.
These are just some suggestions for you all, I hope they help.