How to Make Money Writing on a Blog
This post is for all aspiring bloggers out there. Today I'm going to outline:
How to Make Money Writing on a Blog
Step 1: It all Starts with YOUIt all starts with YOU
Before you even begin creating a money-making blog, you need to get really clear on what you're most passionate about.
Unless of course you want your blog to be BORING. Then you can write about whatever.
- What lights you up?
- What could you talk about for hours on end?
- What makes your heart sing?
- What would make you bounce out of bed in the morning eager to start writing?
- What challenges have you overcome in life?
- What problems do you solve?
- What would hold your interest for at least a year or two?
Now you should have some clue as to what your niche would be about.
TIP: Don't spend more than an hour on this step.
- If it helps you think clearly, draw a mindmap of YOU and your talents and passions.
- Pick your favourite. Go! (You can always choose another passion at another time).
Step 2: Register a Domain
Now that you're clear on what lights you up and what problems you can solve, you can start thinking of some short, catchy names that would describe what you do.
- Try come up with 10 ideas as fast as possible. The first names that pop into your head. Then try shorten them.
- Check whether your domain name is available. Play around with names here.
- Don't deliberate too long on this step - if you can't find a short enough, catchy name, use your personal name. (e.g. mine is laurenkinghorn.com). The sooner you start building YOU as a brand, the better.
Step 3: Define Your Ideal Audience
Who is clamouring for the knowledge you share?
Start gathering material for your posts and getting clear on your ideal avatar.
Google your subject and start visiting websites in your niche.
- Look at popular posts (those with lots of shares and lots of comments).
- Find out who's who in your niche. Look for posts about top people in your niche. Follow them.
- Jot down ideas for your own posts. Find out what problems others in your niche are solving.
- See who is reading, commenting and following master bloggers in your niche.
- Visit Pinterest and see what pops up when you type in your subject. Create relevant boards and save some pins.
- Visit Facebook and see what pops up when you type in your subject. Join relevant groups.
- Visit Quora and see what questions people are asking about your subject.
Start interviewing friends, family, colleagues - anyone who has ever showed an interest when you've excitedly discussed your favourite subject. Ask them what problems you could solve for them.
Step 4: Start Writing Rich Content
Now that you have a website, know who you would like to target and what problems you will solve,you can...
Craft posts that will attract your ideal readers.
Solve as many problems as you can.
Tip: Most websites work best with a combination of written and video content. It's worth learning how to do both.
Step 5: Share Your Content
Get your posts out there.
Share your content in as many ways as you can.
On Social Media:
Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Linked In, StumbleUpon, Flipboard, Medium etc.
Blog about your progress here at Wealthy Affiliate.
Join Facebook Groups and Pinterest Group Boards.
Make friends with other bloggers or others in your niche.
Create an email list and start sending out monthly, fortnightly or weekly newsletters to your list.
Step 6: Start Making Money
There are many, many ways you can make money writing on a blog, but we can break these down into 5 Main Categories:
1. Promote Your Own Products or Services
If you have an existing business, that's what you'll be promoting on your website. A website is the perfect marketing tool for whatever service you are providing.
Alternatively, why not CREATE products suited to your own unique skillset and style?
- If you're into writing, you can create written information products like ebooks, lists, worksheets or powerpoint presentations.
- If you prefer speaking, you can create video or audio courses - think webinars, podcasts or You Tube Videos.
- If you prefer crafting, you can create products and sell them on places like Etsy or Pinterest.
Hint: You don't need massive traffic or a huge audience to start making money with your own products. You just need to have a marketable service or product. An offer that solves problems.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Recommend other people's products and earn commission each time you refer a sale.
You can learn more here: Affiliate Bootcamp
You can use your blog as a springboard to get you freelancing gigs or part time work for others.
Here are just a handful of ideas for you.
- You can become a web designer creating websites for those who don't want to DIY. (Remember, you can host 25 Domains at WA).
- You can write guest posts for other sites (either for pay or to increase traffic to yours).
- You can design logos.
- You can great social media graphics or social media campaigns for others.
- You can sell your services on Freelance websites, such as Fiverr.
4. Sponsored Posts
You can charge others to submit guest posts or sponsored posts on your site.
Once you have massive traffic coming to your blog, you can start benefitting from advertising on your site.
Hope you are a lot clearer now on how you can make money from your blog. Don't forget, all the training and tools you'll ever need are right here at Wealthy Affiliate. And today is your BEST day this year to upgrade to Premium. Upgrade to Premium Now.
To YOUR Success
PS. Seasoned WA members: Please feel free to add your comments on how YOU make money from your blog. I have seen some very creative ideas. I know I only scratched the surface with this post.