A matter of perspective [Ways to be more positive in a negative world]
A lot can change in a day…
A lot can actually change in a moment’s time.
I’m still working on not being a “Debbie Downer” (sorry to all you Debs out there), but sometimes it is hard to think positive in such a negative world.
So let’s look at some ways we can be more positive:
- Instead of thinking of what we do not have, think of what we do have.
- Instead of saying, “That’s not fair,” say, “That’s not fair, but I can do something better.” (I apparently can’t eat salted in the shell sunflower seeds anymore, which isn’t fair because they are one of my favorite snacks, but I will learn to enjoy another snack which will undoubtedly be healthier for me.)
The following ones were gleaned from a Psychology Today article:
- Practice being grateful. Some people even carry a “gratitude” journal with them where they write down what they are grateful for. I have chatted with many of you at Wealthy Affiliate about gratitude journals, too.
- Positive posture. Hmm… could good posture really trick us into feeling more positive? Give it a try! Make your mom (or whomever told you to sit up straight) proud!
- Smile. If nothing else, it will make everyone wonder what you are up to!
- Ditch the crabs! I love this one. I had never heard this analogy before, but apparently if you put one crab in a bucket it will crawl out and easily escape. However, if you put two crabs in the same bucket, as soon as one starts to escape, the other will pull it back down into the bucket. If you hang out with negative people, the same thing will happen—you will keep getting dragged back down into negativity! So get away from those crabs!
- Do something kind. We have all heard of paying forward. If you have watched the movie, Evan Almighty, you will have also heard of building an A.R.K (Acts of Random Kindness). You don’t have to be a wiz kid or a great scientist to figure out that just being nice to someone else can change the way you look at things.
We, ourselves might not feel the best or want to do something, but if we keep up that attitude, just think, WE will be the crabs that everyone is trying to avoid!
Hmm…. Now let’s decide that we are going to be the people that we always knew we could be and start spreading the joy!
Great tidings to you all!