Why am I leaving comments on WAer's websites?
I see we’re all helping each other by providing comments on our websites. That’s why I love this community; very supportive environment!
It got me thinking about what are the goals for leaving comments? That might seem like a ‘no duh’ question but those are the ones I like to analyze. Maybe we’re missing an opportunity to fine tune the impact that comments can make. When we’re asked to provide comments to WAer’s websites, what is the style, content, goal of a comment?
Here are some reasons I found for leaving comments on WAer websites:
- Helping the website get ranked by showing engagement from the audience
- Suggesting improvements for the author to consider
- Providing encouragement – heck, we all need that from time to time!
These reasons left me wondering if I’m helping the author most effectively.
So….if my target audience is reading my website, I’m assuming they are looking for helpful information about that particular niche. They are interested to see if other people have similar questions or comments that they would leave for the author. And then I realized….
They aren’t looking for information relating to what content marketers are interested in.
Oh yeah, I forgot. Not everyone is a content marketer or affiliate marketer. Now as a content marketer, I’m very interested to hear how I can improve my site from a MARKETER’S point of view. I also want to hear from my audience how I can improve my site from a READER’S point of view. These are very different views!
This led me to realize that I need to leave comments to WAer’s in different ways.
- 1.When I’m asked to provide a comment, I’ll make sure I leave it as a niche reader, not a marketer. By doing this, the comment will blend with the site and provide input that helps the niche’s audience.
- 2.THEN I’ll message the WAer and let them know my suggestions from a marketer’s point of view.
I’m finding by targeting my comments to the most appropriate audience, my message will be the most impactful.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you see a need for having different goals for different messages?