Making Good Money Daily with UpWork!
As you may have noticed, I haven't been around a lot on WA lately and I am apologizing to all my WA friends for this.
But the reason why, is a happy one!:)
I have been busy as hell with my websites and my business is really starting to grow strong lately.
I have created 3 more websites and I am starting to get results with everything I learned here at WA over the last 15 months.
But...unfortunately it is still not enough to make a living out of it...
So I have been searching for other ways to make money until I reach my financial freedom.
It has been quite a stressful period for me because I really needed to make some descent money if I wanted to be able to focus on my online business.
So I did a mistake...I went looking for a 'real' job!
A mistake? Yes, you hear me well, a huge mistake!
As some of you may know, I have been working for years as a customer agent and I promised myself never to go back to a call center job, ever again!
Having few other experiences, I had no other choice than to search for something similar. Also, I am living in Barcelona and call centers pay much better ( but still very badly) than Spanish companies.
So I started looking for a job, something that I could do while keep on working on my online business.
I have spent 2 months searching for a job, applying, going to interviews,...and I just fell terrible!!!
I found a job but I was depressed after only 1 day...
I was back to being a frustrated, badly paid employee. Having to ask my boss if I could use the bathroom and being sanctioned if I exceeded the 5 min authorized. Being treated as a number by my employers and being generally unsatisfied and depressed!
I just couldn't handle this another time and I quit!!!
I knew that this was really NOT what I wanted anymore and that I had to focus a 100% on making money online or I would be unhappy forever!
I knew there was another way to make money and I had to find a way to make money fast, even if that meant doing something I don't like but at least being able to it from home.
That's when I realized it was possible to use my skills to make money from home.
Thanks to WA, I have learned about websites like UpWork and Fiverr to look for freelancers ... but what if I used my experience and skills to work as a freelancer myself ?
There had to be a way to use my skills and experience to work from home !
I created a profile on UpWork and to make sure I would find a job, I applied as a Customer Service Agent because that's that what I am good at.
I took a few tests and started to look for companies that are looking for people with my profile.
The first couple of days, my profile didn't really get a lot of interest and my applications left without an answer.
Until last week!
I was contacted by a French StartUp that was looking for someone with good call center experience to make outbound calls to people that applied for a complementary job to sell perfumes.
And the good news, is that this would be a recurring job, as they are looking to hire at least 2000 people!
To make a long story short, I started the next day and I signed a contract to work 3 to 4 hours a day, every day!
The job is really easy and even if this is not my dream job, I don't have a boss to control every move I make and I can do this from the comfort of my own home:)
This leaves me plenty of time to work on my websites!
And the better news, is that since I have started I have been contacted by other companies to work on similar projects!
What is UpWork ?
UpWork is an online marketplace between companies, freelancers or startups and (other) freelancers.https://www.upwork.com/i/howitworks/client/
This is no affiliate link;)
To make it simple, everything that can be done by a computer, can be done by UpWork.
Freelancers can apply for a wide range of projects, from big ongoing projects to smaller one-off tasks.
Companies can find the right freelancers to perform those tasks.
As a freelancer you can choose a job through different categories and sub categories and find your ideal job by putting your preferences:
- Categories: ex. Writing, translations, admin support, customer service, web development, sales and marketing,...
- Subcategories: ex. English to French Translation, English IT support,...
- Job Type: Paid hourly or fixed
- Experience level: Experienced, intermediate or beginner
- Client history: Hires or no hires
- Budget fixed by the client
- Location: Sometimes you can't apply for companies in a different time zone
- Project length: form 1 hour, 1 week, 1 month,.. or not specified
- Hours a week: Part time, full time or not specified
Once you found your perfect fit, you submit a proposal.*Sometimes you will be asked to take a small test or show some samples of previous jobs you accomplished.
*UpWork charges a small fee when you found a job, which is totally normal since you found a job through the website.
Some tips to get your first job on UpWork
When you start out, the most difficult thing will be to find your first job.
Companies tend to go for people who have already built up their profile and that have good reviews.
But not always...
Some companies are looking for people with the lowest rates because they don't want to pay higher rates of more experienced people.
So my tips are :
- Create the most attractive and complete profile possible : Think about your skills and previous experiences and don't hesitate to add anything that's relevant. ( For example, what you have learned at WA and your website). And ofc, don't lie !
- Start with proposing a low rate : The mistake I made was to put my rates too high in the beginning. When you haven't built your profile yet, it's better to start lower and increase your rates once have accomplished tasks and built up your profile.
- Search for jobs with a fixed price and entry level experience : These jobs usually don't pay a lot but they help you build your profile and so you will increase your chances to find another, better job.
- Don't use templates for your proposals and motivation letter : Try to show your interest by making your motivation letter personal ( using the persons name) and relevant to the exact offer.
- Read the offer carefully : Some companies write recomandations in small letters to make sure that people have really read the proposal completely. They will ask you to copy to a word or phrase in your proposal and if you don't, they will trow your proposal right away without even reading it!
- Apply only for offers that are in your competences : The last thing you want is getting a bad feedback because you haven't completed the task like asked or because your realized that you didn't have enough experience to do so.
So when are you starting?!
I hope my story can help some of you out that are still struggling in finding ways to make money online.
You see that the internet is a sea of opportunities if you know where to look :)
Why don't you start using your skills and make money online right now?!
Because isn't that why we are here in the first place?
Please don't hesitate to comment and ask me any questions if you are interested in starting as a freelancer on UpWork!
And hit the like button if you liked my post!