What can you influence?

Last Update: September 02, 2012
I am a lover of Stephen Covey and the 7 Habits. I have read all of his books and give them away as gift to my team and friends. I think that his principles are sound and practical in so many ways.

The Circle of Influence and Concern is a great one so I thought I would share.

So many people live in the 'Circle of Concern' constantly worrying about things that are out of their control. Things that they could never possibly gain control over, but yet don't seem to be able to find their way around it. We don't have a lot of control over Google and their policies and changes in policies so don't try. You can see this is the language of people who live in the concern - 'poor me', 'why did this have to happen to me'.

But instead if you work on what you can 'influence' your attitude and power base grows. While you can't control Google, you can control your understanding of how it works so that you can see how you might be able to work around the impact of changes such as Penguin and his little friends. You will know these people when you meet them as they just get on with it, no complaints and have a really 'can do', 'I won't be defeated' attitude.

The great thing is the most you work on improving you skills, your 'circle of influence' grows so that there is very little left to concern you! Amen.......

Where do you live - concern or influence?
Do you need some growing your influence base?

Wealthy Affiliate can help grow you influence for Internet Marketing.

Gai
Join the Discussion
Write something…
Recent messages
Shawn Martin Premium
Thanks, I needed that!
Reply
GaiC Premium
It is a great reminder for me as well. gai
Reply
anindochk Premium
I worry all the time. There is a lesson for here. Thanks
Reply
GaiC Premium
True but if you can find a way to break the cycle you worry less. gai
Reply
@RICH. Premium
Great post, Gai. I half-remember this quote, so paraphrasing: "99% of the things I worried about never happened. The other 1%? Well, worrying didn't change the outcome. So, nowadays I just can't be bothered to worry.". :) Rich.
Reply
GaiC Premium
I love that quote and it is so true......It is all around the story we put together which is grounded in the past rather than the present and reality. gai
Reply
BIS Premium
Hi Gai
I too like Stephen Covey and often go back and reread things he has said. In fact only today I have been struggling with my own circle of concern. Won't bore you with the details because I've already turned my experience into an article and it will be published in street articles later but you're right it's far better that we focus on what we can control, not what we can't.

Thanks for sharing

Beverley
Reply
GaiC Premium
I will go and have a read of your article. It is a great little tool when you feel overwhelmed, I have used it with my teams over the years and with myself to. gai
Reply
JohnnyMark1 Premium
That's very interesting GaiC. Does Stephen Covey focus on Internet Marketing, or is it that he conveys the concept of the seven basic human habits, and how this effects every aspect of our lives and outlook on everything?

I had a good friend who was almost always in the "woe is me" mindset. It was really strange how bad things just seemed to happen to him, just because he possessed this paradigm. He never could make the correlation of his attitude, to his plight. His life ended at 31, when a dump truck rear-ended his car and set it ablaze.

I can't remember where I read it, but one author advocated upon waking every morning, to tell yourself, that, "Today, something wonderful is going to happen!" I try to practice that. Something "wonderful" may not happen, but just owning that outlook, somehow does affect everything. Somehow, positive vibes attract positive vibes. I don't believe in the supernatural, but I do believe in the power of the mind, and that this ability is within everyone of us. - John Mark
Reply
GaiC Premium
Not specific to IM but rather habits that can help you be effective in business and life. They centre around character and using integrity as the milestone for decisions and behaviour.

I like you morning wake up call. If you put it out there that you will have a good day then you probably will. At the end of the day you can't control the attitude of others but you can control yours.

Gai
Reply
Top