Update 1 of 6 Using Facebook with your website
This is the first of 6 updates in connection to my training tutorial that I developed a month ago.
What I love about experiments is that they are never wrong, they only prove or disprove something. Letâ€™s do a quick recap of what the experiment is.
How effective is Facebook when being used in conjunction with your website?
The idea is that you spend as much time as you can on your own website (about 95%) and use Facebook as a tool for the other 5% to keep your visitors informed of any changes, updates and future postings.
There are many ways to get people to follow you on Facebook but I am trying out the use of a dedicated webpage to get visitors to â€˜Follow Meâ€™ so that I can keep them up to date with what I am doing on my Boot Camp website "My Right To Wealth.
First I need to say something about life. When I started this project I knew there was going to be an external issue that could effect this first month's experiment. That problem was me moving house which took about two weeks to do in total. Therefore, I only had two weeks of dedicated time creating new articles and updates for my website, which meant that there wasnâ€™t as much Facebook activity as there normally would be.
Having said that, I am now settled in and in top gear for the start of this second month!
- I am focusing on returning visitors
- visitor engagement (do they visit the new page, how long do they stay, do they leave a comment, do they click on any links on that page).
- I will be comparing each new month with the July stats only (so it doesnâ€™t get complicated and bogged down with lots of numbers).
- Experiments donâ€™t fail â€“ they prove or disprove something.
- I will spend minimum time on Facebook and maximum time on my website to increase its.page ranking.
Compared to August stats
So what is happening?
Sessions: a decrease of 473 (-54%)
Users: a decrease of 439 (-55%)
Page Views: a decrease of 911 (-62%)
Pages per session: a decrease of 0.29 (-18%)
Average session duration: a decrease of 00:0.31 (21%)
Bounce Rate: a decrease of 1.54% (which is good)
New Sessions: a decrease of 1.74%
July:- New visitors was 92.4% and Returning visitors was 07.6%
Aug:- New visitors was 95% and Returning visitors was 05.0%
What does all this mean?
It means less people came to the site, visited fewer pages and stayed for a shorter amount of time.
As for the actual Facebook site, I posted 5 items of news, had no likes and no comments during the month of August.
The verdict for August: Facebook was completely ineffective.
The experiment is to see if Facebook can be used effectively without stealing away my valuable time from my website. I know there are other ways to use Facebook, however, the object is to use Facebook as an updating site only and not to increase time spent on it promoting, paying for add boosting gimiks, creating groups, etc.
It is still early days, so letâ€™s see what next month brings.
See more comments