Changing Your Life After 50.
I wanted to share this article I wrote my fellow wise & mature WA marketers who may be feeling like they may be too old to make change in their lives.
Changing your life after 50 can be as easy or as difficult as you make it. I know that sounds cliché but, it is true. One day I realized I was 50 and still not living the life I wanted to live. In my case, I was also worried about ways to make money after retirement. I found it a bit hard to admit or even discuss with someone that I had waited till this point in my life to realize I wasn’t living the life I wanted for myself nor did I have the security I was looking for as I headed towards retirement. It’s easy to get in a rut and accept “this is just how it is”. I am writing this article to share my journey to create a laptop lifestyle, make money for retirement and most importantly be happy and fulfilled. In case, you are not familiar with the term laptop lifestyle I will share with you my meaning. The laptop lifestyle in my eyes means freedom! In detail, it means the freedom to make a full time living from my laptop, living anywhere I want and choosing how much I work and when I work. This is my dream. What is your dream? What do you want your future to look like. It’s not too late to create the life of your dreams. Now is the time to take action. Here are a few tips that you can do right away to improve the overall quality of your life and help to put you on the right path to create a happy and fulfilled life.
1) Volunteer – As a volunteer you will get the incredible benefit of giving back to your community / fellow human being. I always feel almost selfish when I volunteer because I feel I gain much more than I give. I know that sounds kind of silly but, the benefit and satisfaction of giving back is immeasurable. I promise you after volunteering whether it is only a few hours or a full day, you may walk away tired but you will also walk away incredibly fulfilled and in many cases inspired. The need is so great in our society today, this is truly a win win!
2) Take Care Of Your Physical Self – It really seems like a cruel twist that the less we feel like exercising and taking care the more important it is that we do it. The good news is the more you exercise the easier it will get, the better you will feel and eventually you may even learn to love it! If you smoke, quit! I know you are probably tired of hearing that but, did you know that smoking is the #1 cause of preventable disease and death? If you need help quitting there are many resources out there. If you are not sure where to find them contact The American Lung Association for some good advice.
3) Always Be Networking – It does not matter if you are working or retired networking is critical. There are many ways to engage such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and the very best is the almost forgotten face to face (lol). Join a group of likeminded individuals, or a group that centers around a activity you enjoy or just a plain networking group. There is a group out there for almost anything you can think of if you just look. I have used a website called meetup.com in the past to engage in different groups. I have to admit this one is one of the toughest for me and I really have to push myself to do it. If you are the same way, just know this will benefit you professionally and emotionally so very much worth the effort. If this is not challenging for you then you are lucky and keep it up!
4) Let Loose – Just because we are over 50 doesn’t mean we can’t laugh, smile, giggle, dance, and act just plain silly. It’s easy to get bogged down in the stresses of everyday life and forget our inner child. The good news is that most of us at this point don’t worry as much about what other people think so, be weird! It’s ok and I am demanding that you have fun! Schedule it if you have to but, have a bit of fun everyday!
5) Practice Safe Sex – You think because you are over 50 that can’t contact a sexually transmitted disease? That’s just plain dumb and embarrassing so, let’s just avoid that situation.
6) Be An Action Agent – This all sounds very easy but, then why don’t we do it! As a famous retailer once said “Just Do It”!!! There are many things that can keep us from taking action such as fear, depression, fear of failure etc. etc. I could literally go on and on which is a bit depressing in itself however, we know the outcome if we do nothing. You must come to a point in your life to where the outcome is no longer acceptable and you are ready and willing to push past your fears and anxiety to achieve. Take baby steps by committing to 30 minutes a day or whatever you are able to do but just know, by taking one small step a day you are on the path to change! You are a winner!!!!
Don’t every feel like you are alone. You are reading this because I am on my own journey. It’s hard to believe that at this stage in my life that I have decided to change careers and make a living as a affiliate internet marketer. At this age or any age really, it is not easy to learn something that you know nothing about or how to do. I guess I got to that point where the outcome / future I was looking at was no longer acceptable so, decided to pursue the life of my dreams….go figure?
Feel free to share any thoughts, comments