Just Terminated 7,200 users on my blog!
Last Update: Jan 12, 2016
About two years ago I noticed folks registering as users (subscribers) on my blog. Not the RSS feed. Almost none left comments. This number grew over the years to over 7,400. I became very suspicious as some left email addresses in Russia. But the majority didn't. But there was never a real correlation between their user name and email handle.
I had set my blog to email a confirmation that they subscribed and i have to wonder if my site was being used to harrass innocent people?
Was the email address actually the person who registered? I know that spammers will leave comments just so they can place their URL of their website in their user profile. But to my surprise maybe only 15 out of 7,400 did place a website on their user profile. So if they are spamming it is not via that method.
I did google a handful of the emails that were left and it showed many were listed as spammers.
My Questions are:
1. Did I do the right thing killing my 7,400 users? What gain can they get if they never leave their website since they cannot get linkage without it?
2. If my site was used to send false confirmation messages then out of over 7,400 NO ONE ever sent me an email complaining!
3. I do not have a mailing list (yeah I know) could those folks wrongly believe they were getting on my non-existent email list?
4. Anyone have any ideas on how to monetize a email list for a liberal Democratic site. Don't forget the readers of my site most likely don't like being forcefully sold to! WOW what a great Demographic I choose as my niche. :)
5. I do have Amazon ads and did have Adsense. In my 5 years I have made a whooping (DRUM ROLL) of $17.35 yes you read that correctly.
So why do I still do this? Because I love it. I am a 65 year old hippie and this is my passion. I will be adding other sites and do it on WA. The above site is not on WA.
See more comments