Quality Content is not just Keywords
Last Update: Feb 10, 2016
For the past several days I've been having this massive pain in my left hip. I know what it is...I've been sitting at my computer for far too long every day trying to get my business up and running. I have not been working out or even going for a walk.
This morning I decided to google some stretches for my hip flexor, hamstring and quad and I came across a site that promised to teach me some great stretches. As I was reading I got really irritated and very shortly left the site.
Why? Because although there was probably great content, the grammer, punctuation and spelling were atrocious and I just didn't believe that the person writing this article was an "authority". I could not trust the content.
Now some of you many say "Shut-up Cherie Judgey-McJudgerton!". But here's the thing...you want to be seen as an authority on whatever subject you're writing about and if your writing looks like my 4 year old great-niece did it, you will not be taken seriously and people will click away from your site.
Here's some tips for making sure your content is up to scratch:
1. Proofread your article. If there is a red underline, that word is spelled incorrectly...fix it!
2. Text writing - this is not an acceptable form of writing unless you are trying to make a point. "UR" is not acceptable, "you are" is.
3. A period "." is followed by 2 spaces before the new sentence starts. A comma "," is followed by 1 space. Here's a great site to help if you aren't familiar with the rules
4. Run on sentences. If your sentence takes up a whole paragraph of 5 or 6 lines, it needs to be broken up into smaller more readable sentences. Chances are you have too many thoughts for just that one sentence.
5. A capital letter follows a period, is used in the word "I", and is used for people's names and for places (eg. I come from Calgary, not calgary).
I'm not saying that you have to be English-Professor-Perfect in your writing. But you must show some professionalism to be taken seriously. If people take you seriously, they will trust you, and, if they trust you they will buy.
I must go and do some stretches now.
I hope this was helpful! Have a great day.