Is Your Child or Someone You Know A Bully?
There are two sides to bullying... the one being bullied and the one doing the bullying.
I am very aware that oftentimes adults or those in authority of a child are the ones doing the bullying. But, too many times that bully is just a child himself.
Bullies come in all shapes and sizes. Both male and female. There is no definite look that makes a child a bully. But there are signs and symptoms that we have to be on the lookout for.
In many cases, when a child is displaying the signs and symptoms of being a bully, it is really an very loud cry for help. A child who is a bully doesn't need to be hated, he/she needs to be helped! Statistics show that a child who is allowed to continue on his way as a bully will often times turn to drugs and alcohol abuse, get into more trouble with unlawful behavior, and often end up in prison.
So, what are the signs to look for in our children and grandchildren?
- Difficulty controlling anger
- Justifying bad behavior
- Getting into trouble at school
- Strong aggression towards siblings
- Behavioral problems such as being hot-tempered, easily frustrated, impulsive, prone to fighting, lack of empathy towards others, brags about fighting
- Manipulative and controlling of others and situations
- Consistently blames others for his/her behavior
- Refusing to accept responsibility for his actions
- Exceedingly competitive; absolutely has to win or be the best
- Someone who witnesses explosions of anger in other people
You may be asking, what can we do to help? It is never easy to see and acknowledge that our child may have a problem. But, if we do see our child displaying several of these signs, the most loving thing we can do is admit it, address it, and possibly seek help from a qualified professional.
Please remember the suicide statisitcs that I gave you in yesterday's post,
It is much easier to confront a problem head on while there is still a chance to fix it, rather than do nothing and wait for tragedy to strike our families.
Let's fight the good fight of keeping our children happy, healthy, and strong!!