- Tracking in Google Analytics and filtering Referral Spam from Historical Reports
Tracking in Google Analytics and filtering Referral Spam from Historical Reports
Before I go into how to manually filter the referral spam, there’s an option in Google analytic for Bot Filtering you might wish to check.
- Go to the admin tab of your site, and select the View Settings
- Check the box Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders, save and it’s done.
As for the manual approach,
You could check your list of referrals under Reporting, on Acquisitions > All Traffic > Referrals.
Here I will take the example of get-your-social-buttons.info and how to filter it.
The steps are similar to filtering your visit, but slightly different in configurations.
- Under Configure the filter
- Filter Name- Name your filter, for example, referral filter
- Filter Type- Check Custom.
- Under the Filter Field- choose Campaign Source
- And in Filter Pattern, paste the expression get-your-social-buttons.info
- Save and Google Analytics now filter the referral get-your-social-buttons.info instantly.