Sites Improve with Age !
Hello WA Fam
For today's blog I just wanted to write about "how age of sites seems to matter for ranking"
Did You Know ?
You may or may not know depending on if you follow my posts, but I have had a site that I created at the end of December in the Coffee Niche which is competitive.
When I started the site of course I went for a low hanging fruit keyword as my main domain in the hope of ranking for that to start traffic juice flow.
If I do an exact search in google - which means surrounding my domain name with " "
I get 1,860 results of sites which is one of the reasons I chose my domain. It receives an average of 270 searches per month so I thought it would be good to rank for. I started my site by adding content everyday until I got indexed. Since being indexed which happened after 5 days - I have been adding content weekly. One or two times per week.
Where My Site Ranks ?
After one month passed by my site was showing up I believe on page 2 or 3 of the exact match search in Google.
It was no where to be see in the broad search which is when you just type word in google as most people search. The reason for this is when you do a broad search in google search box you will typically get Millions of Search Results so it's no surprise that a one month old site would not show up.
6 Weeks After Creating Site it's....
I have just reached the 6 week mark from the birth of my first website,in the Coffee Niche.
Now when I do Exact Search - 1,860 results - my site is in place number 6 on Page 1.
(Remember I have only been adding content pretty much weekly for the last fortnight or so)
When I do Broad Search - 5.6 million results - my site is sitting in position 7 on Page 3
So you see as your site ages as long as you are adding to it and getting engagement from comments as well, you will start to see the search engines recognising your site and boosting it up the rankings without you having to do anything other than creating your content.
- I would recommend adding content everyday when you start your site till you get indexed by google.
- I would also take advantage of the Google Webmaster tool for requesting indexing as I have done this as well with every piece of new content I create
- Once you are indexed and seeing your site show on search results, If you can still add content everyday GREAT ! but make sure at the very least you are doing 1 or 2 times weekly.
- Also make sure you are utilising the Comments part of WA as this shows engagement on your site which also gives your site a boost with the search engines.
- I have started to implement using Pinterest to pin images from my posts and sending tweets and G+ out when I create new content. This could also be contributing.
Had you told me 6 weeks ago I would have a site Page 3 in google out of 5.6m serch results I would have laughed at you.
But it's true you can check for yourself if you type in the search terms
"coffee brands list" or coffee brands list in google.
My site is the one that has these words as the domain - coffeebrandslist.com
Keep working hard people - we are all going great guns thanks to Kyle and Carson WA - Getting Started Training.