Calling any Widget Guru- to help diagnosis a particularly bothersome poltergeist widget that just does not want to cooperate. Installed it and worked on it for about (2)weeks now and it is working me over, by not working at all.
That's how it started anyway. It's amazing what the mind can conjurer up when either tired or overworked. I had been trying to install a widget two ways, one via plugin and the other with code and unbeknownst to me both would work, but for the life of me I could not figure it out.
After spending way too much time on it, trying a hundred different ways to get it working and then calling on WA folks, I figured it must have been a widget poltergeist messing with me. Well needless to say it wasn't, the answer was staring me right in the face the whole time-USER ERROR no poltergeist.
In the WP back end- I went to appearance then editor and looked for <header.php> to insert the code, which I had done many times in the past with no problem. What I did not realize was that there are two similar looking headers in the editor at least with my current theme.
The first was appr/header.php wich was the one I was inserting the code into (wrong one) and the correct one header.php
After making the change, all is working well-