Best Business Advice
If you do only one thing for your "business" in 2018, buy this book:
The title is simply "Mary Kay," published in 1981, and it is a real testament to the pure genius this woman was in business. I recommend it to you because every one of you manage your own business first and foremost. We get caught up in talking much about websites, themes, SEO, Google, images, posts,etc..... but how frequently do we spend time working on the business we operate? If you can absorb and live by the principles this little power-packed book by Mary Kay, you will be successful.
I actually sold Mary Kay cosmetics for several years and the meetings I attend as a consultant were crazy with enthusiasm. During the meetings the consultants are awarded for all of their milestones. Sometimes the awards were just a little bejeweled pin, but it was recognition and you ate it up. As an honored consultant you stood up in front of a crowd of consultants, and they stood up and cheered and clapped like crazy baboons! Now if that didn't light a fire under you! I didn't stay long enough to get one of those "Pink Cadillacs."
Here are a few quotes from Mary Kay to live by:
- To be an entrepreneur you need to realize that you will be working harder than you would at an ordinary job.
- When you are working for yourself, you need to work as hard as you would if the boss was looking over your shoulder. Be disciplined.
- The ONLY thing that separates successful people from unsuccessful people is extraordinary determination. Find this in yourself!
- Take your big goals and break them up into daily small attainable goals.
- Most people live and die without their life dream, "their musts," never played out. The majority remain in their comfort zone, bubble, and are held back by the fear of the unknown.
- This is my favorite! Don't spend dollar time on penny work. Spend your time on work that brings in the revenue.
- Hire someone to free your time up from mundane household tasks. Time is a precious commodity - treat it as such. Time management can be the one thing new entrepreneurs struggle with the most.
- Motivation and commitment are not the same. To be successful, you must always be committed, but you may not always be motivated. There will be times when you will not feel motivated, and this is okay.
- To be the most productive, compete with yourself, not others.
- Provide recognition if you want people to work hard. Recognition is a strong motivator.
- Be enthusiastic, it's contagious.
- Family is the most important. If you work hard and lose your family in the process you have gained nothing.
I could go on and on but reading the book is that best way to glean the essence of Mary Kay's business wisdom and philosophy.
Not only did Mary Kay represent the liberation of women into the business world, but she is also the quintessential ordinary person doing and living the extraordinary life.
I have listened to motivational speakers who have praised Mary Kay as worthy of study. You can get this book for as little as $1.00 online at "Amazon" or in stores like "Barnes and Noble" or used bookstores. It will be the smallest investment with the most significant impact on your business you'll make this year.