Wealthy Affiliate Saved My House!

Last Update: December 24, 2016

Yes, you heard me, Wealthy Affiliate saved my house!

This past Thursday, Dec. 22, the rest of my family were out finishing the rest of their Christmas shopping and I decided to stay at home and work on my websites. I was the only one home and things were progressing nicely when I started to hear some noises from our outside screened-in porch, which is just off our kitchen. I ignored it initially but then I finally decided to check to see if someone was in the screened-in porch because I didn't know what the noises were. As I opened the door to the screened-in porch I was met with a wave of heat and smoke, so much so that some of my hair was burnt. There was a fire in my screened-in porch and there were flames everywhere!!! I quickly closed the door, found a plastic jug and filled it with water from the sink. I then opened the door again and poured the water onto the fire, but it didn't do much.

I knew this method was going to take too long and my house was going to burn down so I ran out the patio door with the plastic jug. Our hoses were put away for the winter but thankfully I have a hot tub outside. I opened the door to the screened-in porch from the backyard and then I opened the lid to the hot tub. In my bare feet (bear in mind that we've got lots of snow on the ground), I filled the jug with water, ran into the screened-in porch, poured the water on the fire and repeated. After about 8 trips between the hot tub and the screened-in porch, the fire was put out.

Unfortunately, the house was filled with smoke and the smoke detectors were wailing away (good to know they worked). I opened every window in the house and eventually after about an hour the house was cleared of the smoke and eventually the smoke detectors went quiet.

All the wicker furniture and cushions and blankets were destroyed but thankfully no one was hurt and all the pets survived as well. The floor has a burnt area and the plastic that we put around the window screens to keep the snow out is all melted. The walls of the screened-in porch are all covered in a dark soot and so are the wood panels on the ceiling. At some point we will have to get those professionally cleaned, but it's too close to Christmas. We'll wait until after the holiday season to get that work done.

Here's a picture of the damage not too longer after it happened:

I'm just grateful that there was no further damage. In some ways, I'm grateful to Wealthy Affiliate for being home and working on my sites. If I wasn't home, I'm sure that I wouldn't have a house to be in over the Christmas holidays and my pets would certainly have perished. So while there is still a faint smell of smoke still lingering in my house, things could have been a lot worse. I still have a house to celebrate Christmas in with my family.

Merry Christmas everyone and all the best in 2017!

Shawn

Join the Discussion
Write something…
Recent messages
GautamWorld Premium
12 years back, the house we lived suddenly had cracks... My father panicked, but I could not feel anything or imagine why?! Was too immature... perhaps naive.

No more the same and we all change with time.

I can feel now what you went through. And it's great you're comfortable in your home :)

Everything in life is PERHAPS pre-destined and happen for a reason.

Good luck for everything ahead in life.
Reply
Compsol99 Premium
Thanks Gautam. I agree that things happen for a reason. Merry Christmas to you and all the best in 2017!
Reply
TomasB Premium
Glad you caught it in time! What exactly caught fire and how can we avoid this?
Reply
Compsol99 Premium
Thanks Tomas. I believe it was either a cigarette butt or a candle, but I can't find any evidence. Merry Christmas to you and all the best in 2017!
Reply
kasage00 Premium
Eek.. Yes it is a good thing you were home. That is correct if you worked an office job...things would have been worse. I work an office job and that puts some fear in me.
Reply
Compsol99 Premium
Yes it was Karin. I actually do have an office job but thankfully I was working from home that day.
Reply
cosmicradio Premium
Shawn, I'm glad no one was hurt, and that the damage seems to be minimal. It could have been much worse. Have a Merry Christmas!
Reply
Compsol99 Premium
Thanks very much Rick. Merry Christmas to you as well and all the best in 2017!
Reply
Techiescot Premium
That was wonderful ... everything happens for a reason.
Reply
Compsol99 Premium
Yes it does Gillian. I was glad that I was home when it happened. Merry Christmas!
Reply
Top