Missing comment boxes
I just thought I would share my relief from pain and frustration. The mystery of missing Comment boxes on pages and posts is solved on my website. It seems to be not an isolated problem. So, I have summarized those check points here. Hopefully, some of you may benefit from this reference.
I’ve read few questions/answers on WA site, but could not get my comment boxes appear on SOME of my pages. Weird enough, I had test comments posted earlier on those pages, but no ability to add new comments. That was an indication of some change to settings . So I tried it all. It seems like theme refresh did the job. It shoved the message “Discussion is closed”, which I have not seen before. Also, I believe that Discussion section (when you open a page/post for editing) was not visible. Again, it happened to only some of my pages.
Following are the steps I did to solve the problem. If your comment box does not appear on a page or post, here are the places to check settings. The procedures for pages and posts are similar (I have screenshots for pages only).
1. Verify that check box Allow people to post comments on new articles is checked in Settings/Discussion
2. Verify that check boxes for Comments and Discussions are checked under Screen Options for every individual page/post.
3. Still in Pages: scroll down to Discussion section to Allow comments there.
If those steps still do not help, try trouble-shoot conflicting plugins
4. Disable all plugins
5. Browse to your site in incognito mode.
6. Finally, refresh Word Press theme (switch to another theme and back).