How to Verify Your Website With Google, Yahoo & Bing Using FTP
If you're having any difficulties following the video then please read the written instructions.
There are a number of different ways to verify your website with Google, Yahoo & Bing. If you modify your theme by adding a HTML meta tag you lose the verification every time your theme is updated and you have to go through the same process again and again.
Using Google Webmaster Tools' 'Recommended method' you only have to verify your website once and it's verified forever (unless you remove the HTML verification file).
In this tutorial I'll show you how to submit Your Website to Google, Yahoo & Bing and verify your Website Using FTP.
If the video goes too fast just hit the 'Pause' button.
FTP = File Transfer Protocol
You can transfer files from your computer to your website (Upload) or from your website to your computer (Download) via FTP using FileZilla - a free program.
Use FileZilla to backup your website to your computer Using FileZilla FTP to Backup Your Website
as well as uploading the verification files for Google, Bing & Yahoo.
- Obtain your FTP login details from SiteRubix Site Manager.
- Click ‘Details’ to access your FTP Username and Password then copy and paste them into a Notepad.
- Download FileZilla from a trusted source (Google 'FileZilla') taking extra care that it doesn't have Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) or malware attached.
- Save the set-up program on your computer then double-click it to install FileZilla.
- Create a new folder on your computer for your website.
- Login to Google Webmaster Tools with your free Google account: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/
- Click on ‘ADD A SITE’
- Enter your website’s URL then click Continue.
- Click the link to download the HTML file and save it in the new folder you created for your website.
- Open FileZilla, click Edit -> Settings to change to Active Mode then click OK.
Host: your domain name (URL)
Username: the Username you copied from Wealthy Affiliate
Password: the Password you copied from Wealthy Affiliate
- Click on 'Quickconnect'
- On the Remote Site double-click ‘httpdocs’ to open the folder. Make sure you're using the right folder on the remote site. Your file goes into the 'httpdocs' folder, not the 'httpSdocs' or any other folder or even the root of the remote site.
- On the Local site navigate to the new folder on your computer then right-click the Google file you downloaded and select ‘Upload’.
The file uploads to the Remote site.
- Go back to Google Webmaster Tools in your browser.
- Click the link to confirm successful upload.
Your unique code appears in a new tab in your browser.
- Go back to Google Webmaster Tools in your browser and click VERIFY.
DO NOT REMOVE THE FILE even after verification succeeds.
Yahoo and Bing
Yahoo has partnered with Bing so you only need to add your website to Bing Webmaster Tools for both Yahoo and Bing.
- Sign in or Sign up to Bing with your free Microsoft Account at: http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster
- Add your Sitemap and click 'ADD'.
- Click the link to download BingSiteAuth.xml and save it in the new folder you created for your website.
- Go back to FileZilla.
You may have to reconnect because it times out fairly quickly. If so, click on 'Quickconnect'.
Make sure you're using the right folder on the remote site. Your file goes into the 'httpdocs' folder, not the 'httpSdocs' or any other folder or even the root of the remote site.
- If BingSiteAuth.xml does not appear on the Local site, right-click in an empty space and ‘Refresh’.
- Right-click 'BingSiteAuth.xml' and select ‘Upload’.
The file uploads to the Remote site.
- Click the link in Bing Webmaster Tools to confirm the successful upload in your browser.
The contents of the XML file appears in a new tab in your browser.
- Return to Bing – Webmaster Tools and click 'VERIFY'.
FINISHED - you have confirmed your website in Google Webmaster Tools, Yahoo and Bing Webmaster tools.
Now you've got FileZilla you can use it to back up your website Using FileZilla to Backup Your WebsiteMore Training by Marion Black - Sorted
As always I'm here to help you,
Please share the love, click 'Like This' (if you do). Ask a question, share something or leave a comment.