My experience in building a website

Last Update: January 15, 2017

So, We're all here doing the same thing. Creating a online business and as we all know, in order to do so we need to create a website.

This experience has been a roller coaster of a learning experience for us (we're a two person team, Melissa is faster at typing and really nerdy so typically I get dictated to and I make it sound awesome) We have learned each other's strengths and weaknesses with technology, where a month ago, we had NO IDEA!

Etienne didn't know that I know coding, and I was hoping that he would have never known, because really, what blonde haired, blue eyed girl would know that stuff. But did it ever come in handy. Yes, 99.9% of everything is done for you though SiteRubix, and yes there are ways around not knowing coding, but before we installed a TinyMCE Advanced, getting the text to agree with us was PAINFUL!!!

So, overcame that hurdle. Had smooth sailing for a while and then in our building we knew that there had to be a better way to make the website look awesome without having to drag the code to where we wanted it to show up in our articles. So we installed Beaver Builder, and fell in love to only get our hearts SHATTERED. We constructed about 16 pages using Beaver Builder, and then Melissa was looking at the Google side of the website and there was NO CONTENT!!! All that work, and it didn't exist on Google... why???!!

So, more research... good thing Melissa likes research....

We contacted tech support, the forums, and the community, because from what we could tell this was an issue with the Beaver Builder plug in. No one really had a straight forward answer for us, and their solution was to uninstall and reinstall the plug in. So, we deactivated the plug in, and before uninstall we looked at the website and there was NOTHING..... At all.... I died a little on the inside.. then cried...

Thankfully upon reactivation of the plug in, and going into each page individually, the data was recovered, but still hated by Google. So we had to go into each page and copy all the text from Beaver Builder and paste back into the original page. 2 hours later... we had all of our useful data our of Beaver and Etienne did some research on another page builder, and we now use PageBuilder by Site Origin, and Google doesn't hate us! YAY! We could watch our site health grow with each page we converted off of Beaver Builder. It was pretty neat and frustrating at the same time.

Now, Googlebot is currently indexing our pages, and we can watch our traffic though Google Analytics which is really awesome. We have had people from Australia coming though our site... How cool is that!?!?! I think that this means that we're doing something right... YAY!!!

This is just the beginining of this awseome journey, and I cannot wait for us to encounter more hurdles. If i blogged about all of the things we've come across, let's just say it would be a pretty good book. haha

Keep reading our blogs and check out our website to let us know what you think..

Join the Discussion
Write something…
Recent messages
BPayne1 Premium
Wow, you have been through a lot. Your experience gives me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am still in the learning stage. I hope that I can get through everything and come up with a good website.
Reply
Yorktonguy Premium
Just keep on moving forward. It has to work. Good luck.
Reply
Top