Quotation Marks: What they Are, How to Use them
Last Update: January 15, 2021
What are quotation marks?
Quotation marks have several uses in our writing. Most of us know the primary use. They mark the beginning and end of quotes or dialogue.
However, we also use them to:
- set off titles of certain works
- indicate slang, mottos, single letters, and translations
- show that you are referring to the use of that word or phrase, rather than using it as part of the sentence
Examples of these include:
- Her favorite hymn is "Amazing Grace." (shows title)
- She lived by the motto "Any job worth doing, is worth doing right." (motto)
- He told her bonjour, “good day,” when they met that day. (referring to phrase)