Before we Begin
Creating custom menus will likely become important for many online businesses.
Making navigation of your website simple is of highest importance for both user experience and search engine rankings. It is also important to know the proper way to structure your menus so they are displayed correctly.
I hope to simplify this process for anybody curious or stuck on creating one.
Table of Contents
Creating Your Menu (This page)
- Multiple Custom Menu Widgets
So let's start with creating a custom menu
- Under "Appearance" you will find and click "Menus"
- Click "create a new menu". (I have this highlighted yellow)
Enter Menu Name
- You can name your menu anything. (Only visible to you)
- Click "Create Menu" in the blue box
- Important -
After creating menu you will see "Menu Settings"
- Do Not Check "Auto add pages"
- Unless you want this menu in your primary location, leave both empty.
(If Adding "Pages" or "Categories", insure you select "View All" as I highlighted yellow below.)
Your Custom menu is ready to be designed. Make sure you set it up correctly or it will not appear the way you desire.
Although it's simple. The smallest of adjustments can mean big changes. Especially in the next step with designing your "Menu Structure".