When Can We Travel Again?
When can we travel again normally is the billion dollar question for all in the travel niche.
Brian Pearce, the Chief Economist at the International Air Transport Association (IATA) projected that the 2019 levels of travel (what many would call the last golden age of travel) will only return as early as 2023.
There is also another trend, that airfares will become expensive in the long run. However, airlines will be dropping fares to stimulate demand in the short term first.
Air Travel Can Only Happen If Countries Reopen Their Borders
It is in the best interests of countries to reopen their borders. The aviation industry in 2019 Statista was valued at US$828 billion according to Statista.
This industry has been crushed by the coronavirus in 2020, most are hoping with the gradual reopening whether it can achieve half of 2019 figure.
Do you think that is possible?
So, if you are in the travel niche, what should you do?
I have 3 suggestions:
There is interest in keeping updated on:
- which countries can one travel to as it opens.
- which airlines are resuming flights
Post Covid-19 effect is the renewal of businesses and attractions (some businesses will close and new ones will emerge). This creates opportunity for new content:
- Existing content will be obsolete. A top 10 restaurant list with 3 restaurants closed will no longer be relevant.
- There will be increasing opportunity to build new content as the industry builds itself up again
Local Marketing:Local businesses will need to market to a local or regional market.
- Staycations will be an immediate opportunity
- Travel products for individuals and small groups
This disruptions and change will create opportunities so if you are in the travel niche, time to get creative and busy.