How I Take Care of Myself in These Times
I don't need to tell you that these are very odd times, what with the coronavirus worldwide and governments making differerent regulations as to what we must do. I won't get into that specifically as it keeps changing, and the news covers it.
But I do want to share a the most important things that I do most days to take care of my health and my good spirits. Of course, working on websites, WA, or books are a big part of my days.
In list format, my approaches:
- I walk. I carry a pedometer in my slacks pocket. The one that I have used is by Omron,and I've gone through several of them for over 10 years, but there are a number of brands. Some people put an app on their cellphone. I don't like the health effects of carrying my cellphone on my person all that much, which may make me a rarity, so I don't use that sort of app. Some people suggest 10,000 steps a day, but I find about half that is ideal for me. I have a couple of routes around my yard, and I also get up from the computer and just walk a little in the house several times a day.
- I eat quite healthfully. Vegetables, fruits, olive oil when I use oil (or walnut oil if I want an oil with no flavor), nuts, beans, the rare fish or meat. Not much in the way of sugar and never fake sweeteners. Easy on the wheat and dairy. Herb teas, black tea... never did care for coffee.
- I do stretches, including simple Qi Gung practices, usually on my front porch where I can look at the mountains. I do any lie-down ones on the bed or on the carpet inside.
- I play with my dogs. Great for everyone's spirits! Sometimes but not always they get walks, but they do get a lot of exercise playing ball in the yard. We have another ball we use in a kind of bowling-alley part of the indoors. That's good now that the monsoons seem to be starting. The cat also gets her play time too, with a cat toy that resembles a fishing rod.
- A lot of people meditate, but I tend to pray, or you could call it positive thinking. I have a long mind map of family and friends I go through just about every morning. One day I might wish everyone JOY, another time, CLARITY, and so on. I get a happy buzz from doing this. When I read here that one of you has challenges, you may be on my list for a while, but I always do a moment for the WA community in general.
- My husband and I are mostly working on separate projcts during the day, but we make sure to have some relaxing time together at some point. This may include one show on Netflix. We usually share meals too.
- I usually get enough sleep, including an after-lunch nap.
- I talk with family members and close friends, sometimes using Facetime video, but if I am walking while visiting, I prefer to just use audio.
Actually most of these are habits that I have had for years and years, but I am a bit more diligent in these times.
What do you do to take care of yourself?