Avoid This Affiliate Marketing Mistake
Currently a lot of affiliate marketers are making the same mistake a lot other affiliate marketers are making. And because of that their leaving a lot of money on the table.
So, what’s this big mistake?
Not Actively Building An Email List
Now I'm not talking about creating a squeeze page and driving traffic to that page using paid traffic. Which by the way is one very effective method of building a list.
I'm talking about building your list through your website using the free traffic that comes to your website through organic search traffic. You know the stuff you're being taught here in wealthy affiliate.
So, Why Build Email List?
As an affiliate marketer you (we) don't own any of the products or services we promote.
So, having a email list is Golden. It’s something no one can take away from you. In fact, its Priceless. And you need to treat it as such!
Other than your website property, your email list will become your Biggest asset.
And because of that
You Should Always Be Building Your Mailing List
Now we both know not everyone, in fact, the majority of people that come to your site won't buy what you're promoting. And that's just the reality of online marketing.
And because of that, when these people leave your site more often than not, they are gone forever. However, by actively building your email list you can avoid losing people.
Now of course not everyone is going to end up on your mailing list. But many can if you're doing it right.
And once someone is on your mailing list. You now have the opportunity to offer them not only your main product that you're promoting. But other products or services that are related to your niche for months and possibly years to come. Thus generating a great revenue stream.
But there is a right way and a wrong way when it comes to marketing to your mailing list. And I’ll get to that in a moment.
To build your mailing list you need to have an incentive for people to join your mailing list. This is also known as a Lead Magnet and it’s even called an Ethical Bribe.
And your incentive could be a video series, an eBook, a free course, software, cheat sheet, a hack, a tip, a trick. It can be anything. Just make sure it has a ton of value to your subscriber, is related to your niche, and it's free!
Also, you want your opt-in form all over your site. Don’t limit yourself to just one spot on your site. You want it front of everyone all the time.
So, have it on your homepage, sidebar, in your post content, offer upgrade content, on your pages, exit intent popup, etc.
Now, to actually build your mailing list you’re going to need an auto responder.
And if you’re not sure what that is. An auto responder is software that you use to create a sequence of email marketing messages that automatically gets sent to your subscribers in the order and frequency that you decide.
Basically, it does all the heavy lifting for you. You just need to set it up.
So, this means you’re going to need an auto responder service. I personally use Aweber. But there are plenty of great companies to choose from. And services such as Aweber do provide video training and live chat support to help you. So, if you're new to this not to worry.
Now I’m not going to get into all the details of email marketing, that's a whole course in itself. But I do want to touch on a few important points.
Double Opt-in Subscribers
All of my subscribers are double opt-in and yours should be as well.
When someone wants to join your mailing list, they'll put their contact information into your opt-in form. This is usually their name and email address. Once they do, they’ll get sent to a confirmation page. And once there they need to confirm their subscription to your mailing list.
If they don't confirm their request, they don't get on your mailing list until they do.
Also, the advantage of requesting double opt-in is it increases the delivery rate and the quality of your subscribers as it guarantees your mailing list has only valid email addresses.
Plus, double opt-in helps you avoid potential issues with the GDPR. (General Data Protection Regulation)
What To Do Once Someone Is On Your List?
Once people are on your mailing list it’s now your responsibility to provide them with helpful, valuable, and useful information.
And by doing this you're now starting to build a relationship with the people on your list. And once people know, like and trust you, they will buy from you.
Now, it's true some people will buy from you on the first contact because they are ready to buy. But on average it takes 7 to 10 touches (emails) before people feel comfortable making a purchase. And with other people it takes even longer. And then some never do.
So, you need to take the time to grow and nurture your list. And by doing that you have a much greater chance of people not only buying from you once. But buying from you over and over again.
And if you decide to launch your own product or service, you'll have a built in customer base just itching to buy. And if you have an affiliate program you have a ready set army of people ready to sell your product or service.
A Devoted Subscribers Will...
- Build your credibility
- Promote you
- Defend you
I really hope you get the point I’m trying to make here. If you approach your list as simply a list of names ONLY there to make you money and you treat them like an ATM - you will fail spectacularly.
But on the contrary. If you develop a sincere relationship with your list, and truly work on helping them achieve their goals. You’ll develop your greatest asset.
Which is a responsive, targeted list that trusts you because you've earned it, and is eager and willing to spend money.
Here Are My 5 Personal Rules For My Mailing Lists
1) Treat everyone with respect. These are just not names and email addresses in an auto responder. These are people looking for help and guidance. And just like me and you they have dreams and goals, so respect that.
2) Provide great content and resources that will actually help people. Don’t send messages just because you can. Make sure everything you send people has value.
3) Do not constantly be selling something. Yes, your mailing list is there to generate income but do not think of your mailing list as an endless supply of cash or an ATM. You can easily burn out and piss off your list, and people will constantly be unsubscribing.
4) Do not add to information overload, there’s enough of that already. Many people have tried to figure out the perfect sequence for sending mailings to a mailing list.
Every mailing list is different. Personally, I send out my emails at the same time each day so people learn to know when to expect them.
And in them I share what’s going on in my life and I always include great useful information so the people on my mailing list can use that information to grow their online business.
With that said, the stats show sending out a marketing email is best done on Tuesday and Thrusday.
5) Never stop growing your mailing list, it’s a numbers game. People will opt out, so you constantly need to be building your list. But if you’re doing your job right many people will stay and become loyal followers, and as your list grows so does your income.
When done right, you can build a very successful and profitable online business just using email marketing as your marketing strategy.
Here's some statistics when it comes to email marketing:
- According to Statista - there will be 4.3 billion email users by 2023.
- According to the DMA (Designated Market Area) for every $1 you spend on email marketing you can expect an average return of $42. (4200%)
- 89% of marketers use email as the primary way of generating leads.
- In North America, the average open rate for email is 19%.
- 60% of consumers said they have made a purchase because of email marketing and only 12.5% said they would consider clicking a buy button on social media.
- Mobile devices account for 60% of email opens.
- Including video to your email can increase clickthrough rates by 300%.
- When people are marketed through email, they tend to spend 138% more compared to people that don't receive email offers.
I could go on and on about the advantages of email marketing. But I think you get the idea.
I hope you found this information helpful.
Now get out there and start building your list.
I believe in you