Why Poor Comments Harm Your Site
So, I am sure we are all familiar with requesting comments, and occasionally being sadly disappointed with the responses. Or receiving organic comments which are poorly written and have links in them. What do we do? Are bad comments better than no comments at all? After all, they show engagement with your site, and add to the word count of posts. Let's see what Google has to say about it.
"This type of spam can be harmful to your site in several ways including:
- Low-quality content on some parts of a website can impact the whole site’s rankings.
- Spam can distract and annoy your users and lower the reputation of your site.
- Unintended traffic from unrelated content on your site can slow down your site and raise bandwidth costs.
- Google might remove or demote pages overrun with user-generated spam to protect the quality of our search results.
- Content dropped by spammers can lead to malicious sites that can negatively affect your users."
Several important points here, as you can see. The first one is particularly interesting - I read this to mean that no matter how fabulous and relevant your own content is, low quality comments can bring down your ranking. Point four is also worrying - Google can actually remove pages which have user-generated spam.
So, don't be afraid to reject or trash those spam comments! An online business is not the place to be worried about hurting someone's feelings, as harsh as it sounds!