Would $45,000. Motivate You To Sell A 1-Year Old Website?

Last Update: March 26, 2021

Well, well!

I woke up this morning with my knickers in a twist and I REALLY need your help.

What would you do if you were in this situation?

Website Valuation Just For Interest

You may be aware that I have been building out my online business a little differently. Affiliate Marketing is my medium to long term strategy.

The short term strategy is my consulting, advisory and business (online and offline) management services. This is progressing exceptionally well.

April marks the start of my big push with Affiliate Marketing and really increase my traffic and earnings. All 3 of my websites are earning affiliate income, by the way.

Last week, in one of my brain burst moments, I thought about selling one of my domains and websites. Jeff had some great blog posts about this some time ago.

Flippa gave me a free rough valuation.

With such a motivating valuation, I decided to put it up for offers. They required a lot of information but I followed through.

My First Offer This Morning

2 days after putting it up on Flippa, I received interest from 4 persons. I have been in communication with 2 of them.

1 seemed rather serious. We exchanged some emails and I shared some more information. We held a Zoom meeting on Tuesday.

This morning, I awoke to find this email in my inbox.

I have shared the email as I have received it, except with the proposed buyer's details.

Shocked Is Putting It Mildly!

To say that I am shocked is putting it VERY mildly!!!

$45,000.00 !!!

This started out as just a "let me see" kind of thing and I am now at this juncture.

I am so overwhelmed this morning that I cannot yet settle my mind to respond professionally to the email.

AND, a 1-year contract to continue to manage it as my own!!

This definitely requires some deep thinking before I make a decision.

Tell me. What are your thoughts?


Join the Discussion
Write something…
Recent messages
hanley Premium Plus
Hi Cassi
for something different there is an old saying that often holds true,
"the first offer is usually the best offer"
You put it up for sale so it is an your mind .
now toss a coin and then do what your heart tells you.

Forget the contract unless it is a premium rate you cant say no to.

You don't want to work for others you want to do your own thing
so is that an answer.

$45k as a backup is a good option.

Now sleep on it and make a decision at about 2am LOL

Peter H
CassiOfTroy Premium Plus
Peter, 2 - 4 AM is what we call "The Witching Hours".
The time when important thoughts and decisions float through your mind.

I did that this morning.
Woke up, exercised and am now writing out the pros and the cons.

Thank you for your thoughts.

NicholaJames Premium
Hi Cassi,

It sounds like a good offer but you have to consider several factors when it comes to this offer. I Know that you are a very shrewd business woman, so at end of it all you will look at all the facts and your will make the right choice for you and your family.

Continue the great work! Much success to you!

Kind regards,
CassiOfTroy Premium Plus
Nichola, you are very right.
There are many factors to consider and it is not that simple.

I have put t he pros and cons down on paper and I have made, what I think is, the best decision.

Thank you for your support.

NicholaJames Premium
You are welcome. Indeed, it is not simple. I know you will make the best decision after all considerations. May the force be with you! Have a great week ahead!
Aparna155 Premium

I'm telling you all ... get to know this woman before she becomes a billionairess! So happy for you Cassi. Your clear-headedness, and your kindness is beginning to show results.

I have used Flippa twice in the past, and I have seen that they overvalue your site, just to get you to buy into their platform.

But of course, you have a genuine 45k offer too. I would say, wait and see what valuation the site gets in another 6 months. If value has been seen in your site today, that will only increase with more time and more efforts by you.

Whatever the decision, do remember to blow up a sizeable part of the proceeds on a fancy vacation (with apologies to Partha, of course). You live only once, but if you live it well, once is enough.

CassiOfTroy Premium Plus
Aparna, everything that you have said is applicable.
Flippa does overvalue, by a lot.
That is why the $45K offer came as a surprise.

Partha has helped me very much in thinking this through and I have weighed up all the pros and cons.

It was an exercise and experience that I have enjoyed.

Thank you for your support.

Aparna155 Premium
Partha is a an enviable wonder :)
jvranjes Premium
It would be good to hear what happens next. As I see this is a "starting offer". Are they going to offer more?

Something is strange in the language the person uses, "to compensate you for the hard work".

I had something similar, an offer of $180000 for a site, the maximum estimated value at Flippa, but it turned out the person was willing to pay with bitcoin. Be careful.
CassiOfTroy Premium Plus
Thank you for this, Jovo.

We have spoken and the payment, if accepted, will not be in bitcoin.

Benjamin89 Premium
I think it is a lot of money and would be a good decision if you didn't have to work for them for another year on the site, unless they were continuing to pay you for the work and maintenance you provide. Which site are you selling? Any of the ones listed on your WA profile page.
CassiOfTroy Premium Plus
Yes, Benjamin, it is one of my listed websites.

It is a fair amount of money but nothing that I would drop everything to run after.
What it does do is seriously wake me up to the possibilities of what is out there and what can be achieved with hard work.

Decision time, so let's see what happens.

Roybretton Premium Plus
Good morning Cassi,

I hope you're doing well, it sounds like things are really good which is fantastic. Well done and congratulations on working so hard and making this potential achievement.

Just a few thoughts from me.

I have had a few off-line businesses which I have sold and I have never regretted the decision whatsoever. In fact, I'm thinking of selling my present off-line business so that I can dedicate myself to the Internet full-time. I also know that if I wanted to I could find work in a similar field to my niche, regarding working off-line. (Just in case I needed some extra money.)

When you mentioned selling one of your websites, my thoughts immediately went to Grace.


In the early days, Grace almost sold her website, however, she kept it and ended up going to Las Vegas. I believe she was very happy she did. So, thinking quickly and I don't fully know your situation, although it may be tempting to take the $45,000, long-term you may be selling something good and something that you need to keep.

I was trying to find Grace's article from a few years back, but I can't see it. It may be worth you reading this on her blog posts to see the type of success that she has had. In this way, it will help you to come to the right decision.

However, maybe you can rinse and repeat the process and quickly build a similar site up to that level and maybe keep the website.

Just a few thoughts from me!

It's absolutely brilliant that you have come this far Cassi, so good!

Now for a light-hearted comment; I always say to people who get their knickers in a twist, not to, as you only have to un-twist them!

Have a great day, I am really pleased for you.

CassiOfTroy Premium Plus
Knickers are untwisted this morning, Roy. 😂

You have made some very good points here and I am now in the process of putting them all together and making a decision.

Thank you for always supporting and guiding me.

Roybretton Premium Plus
Good morning Cassi,

That's good to hear!!!

I think it's always good to hear other people's opinion and thoughts on something major like selling a website, Cassi. Although you have to make the final decision, other people can sometimes put thoughts and ideas that we don't always think about.

Just one more point, there are people (and I am sure you know this) that actually sell websites for a living. Maybe this could be your niche?

All I can say is, please be careful and I sincerely hope that you come to the right decision.

Have a great Sunday.