How to Share Your Passion to connect with the world
You have a message you want to share. You need to connect with the world. With two billion plus people using the Internet, it makes sense to use the Internet to share your passion, but how do you create a website that will get traffic and allow you to build an audience?
Even if you can spend a thousand dollars to have someone build you a website, your site will probably not rank high enough with the search engines to get noticed.
A website whose content doesn’t rank on page one of the search engines is lost. No one will find your site. That is all right for someone who just wants to tell friends and customers they have a website. But, if we want to have an audience your website has to rank high in the search engines.
How do you build an audience for your website?
There are many factors involved in getting ranked. One of the most important is to have lots of helpful content on your website. The more content you have, the easier it is for search engines to learn what your site is about.
Good helpful content that helps people solve their problems will bring people back to your site to find out what is new. Search engines see that people stay on your site and look at several pages/posts and the search engines recognize that people trust your site. A trusted site ranks higher.
Older sites rank higher that new sites. It may take a new site several months to catch on in the search engine but you can do things to speed up the process.
The most important thing you can do is write lots of quality content.
On each of your posts and pages do the following.
- Include a long-tailed keyword in the title and the same keyword should be in the content located above the fold. (The part of your article that appears before you start scrolling.)
- Customize the meta title and the meta description
- Include relevant images in your page/post and make sure the alt tag for each image is filled out.
- Include at least one internal link and one external link.
- Embedding video in your page will improve your rank because video keeps people on your site longer.
- Use Fetch to Google in GSC.
- Make a post on your favorite social media announcing your post and include the link to the post.
- Video is king when it comes to engaging with visitors. Set up a YouTube channel and create video you can embed in your website.
Understand it takes work to create an effective website that is ranked by the search engines and attracts an audience. If you are not prepared to do the work your website will not attract the audience you want to reach.
As soon as your website is attracting visitors you will want to create an optin list that your visitors can subscribe to. Your list allows you to communicate with your visitors and start to build a relationship with them. Don’t try to sell, try to help. Only 1 in 5 posts should be a sales pitch. The other 4 posts should be information your audience will find helpful, interesting or entertaining.
When you have an audience, you will need to build a relationship with them. One of the best ways is by using a webinar. A weekly webinar on a subject your audience will find helpful will help your audience get to know you as a person. Be sure to post your videos in your YouTube Channel.
Social Media is an important tool for engaging with your audience. FaceBook is the obvious leader and should not be ignored. Instagram is a more visual platform and is rapidly growing in popularity.